So here it is, Saturday. Not even day one of school closures, however, I am not one to stay idle for long. I need a plan first before I was able to enjoy the weekend. Constant thoughts were running through my head, "How am I going to organize the day for my boys and have individual time to work with each one?" Luckily, my husband and I are home and we can divide our time up with our boys. So he will absolutely bringing back woodshop! Ha!
How else can we organize learning throughout the day without us all losing our minds? Inspired by the "COVID-19 Daily Schedule" that is circulating social media, I've generated a personalized outline below.
To structure the day, I spent my time searching the internet for companies who are graciously allowing free subscriptions due to the outbreak. How awesome is that? They could have easily charged more money because of the current demand for online learning, but they didn't. # greatergood#blessthem
I found this great music website here and ordered this instrument on amazon (click here). They had it in stock and it will be here by Monday (no luck on toilet paper though).
My oldest son is in 5th grade and was sent home with some materials (#ninjaskills) so I was able to gauge where he was in math and in language arts. I was able to find supportive materials on YouTube from passionate educators who have recorded their lessons online and he will continue his path in learning. Albeit, I know he won't get the "best" instruction that his teacher would be able to give him in live time, but this will have to do.
My youngest son is in 3rd grade. We are off to the library in a few to get a book to read for our novel study. In math, the first week home, we are going to do a review of time, regrouping, and division. For science and social studies, each of my children will rotate the subjects and go in depth on a topic. Jake chose social studies (above) and Zak chose science.
Although I can seamlessly manage a class of 34 students, my own children go rogue and are resistent to learning with me, so how can I manage their learning and be able to focus on each child's needs? I created this chart which staggered the "academic time" so I can be available to them. Please take note of how I put "fresh air" after each one. I think we are all going to need it. LOL.
.
Here is the plan so far, but as you know, things change at a drop of the hat. I will keep you posted on daily happenings, revisions, and of course what I WOULD have been teaching in my history classes next week.



I hear you on teaching your own kids. I taught rather successfully for years, but my own automatically tunes me out. Mom doesn't know anything, even if she says the same thing the teacher did.
ReplyDelete