Monday, March 16, 2020

Today was a ... trial.

School is out early today.

This wasn't the plan.

All joking inside, overall, learning this temporary system will take some time but I am happy with how everyone tried to have a good attitude.  Daren (my husband) made homemade bread with kids, so students had a practical lesson in science, math, and precision. We used the recipe linked here. It is something that we usually make in the fall and winter, but we figured now is as good as time as any. The kids had a great time and were able to gobble it down during "recess."  (Pics are coming!)




Jake (5th grade) completed a lesson on Think Central on math, continued reading his book and completed comprehension questions and vocabulary practice. If parents out there are wondering how to support their child in reading comprehension any quick search on Quizlet will yield tons of results. You do not need an account, neither does your child, you can search for free and use for free! For social studies, Jake started his movie scroll on the American Revolution. I will admit this was not a hard project for him to buy into because he loves history and Star Wars, so it was a win-win. Today was his first attempt and he had some mishaps. Here is his project as of today (click HERE). Tomorrow I am going to have him add diverse perspectives into his scroll to include women and Native Americans (to be continued). We used https://www.classtools.net/movietext/  to make this scroll. Tip: type this on a document before putting it in the scroll, just because if you click one wrong button, you lose it all. I used directions from one of my assignments I do in my class and we just adapted them. Take a listen here if you'd like. I would have a tab open with the directions, hit pause, then go step by step.

Zak picked one of the books we had at home because when we to the library on Saturday it was closed. He read three chapters and then created a google slideshow. He wrote the title of his book, introduced characters, setting, a short one-sentence summary, and a prediction. He learned how to change the background of the slides, font color and how to add an image. Additionally, during his creative time, he opted to draw a picture of two of the characters. I showed him how to take a picture and insert into the slideshow. For math, we went through division and multiplication and played games on this site.

We ended the day, with the kids making a fort (good times)! 


Tomorrow, I will add in some fun with this hyperdoc on St. Patrick's Day! Check it out if you'd like! St Patrick's Day Hyperdoc I will also be posting a STEM activity we will be completing in the next few days. If you have any questions, let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment